WEST YORKSHIRE BIRDING

BRIAN SUMNER.
WELCOME TO ( WEST YORKSHIRE BIRDING )
KEEPING BIRDING LOCAL.

BLOG UPDATED DAILY AROUND 2000 hrs.

FEEL FREE TO SEND ANY COMMENTS, QUERIES OR QUESTIONS DIRECT TO MY E.MAIL AT THE ADDRESS BELOW, OTHERWISE TEXT OR WHATSAPP. 07771 705024.


CLICK ON PHOTOS TO ENLARGE THEM.

ALL IMAGES ARE STRAIGHT FROM THE CAMERA WITH
NO PHOTOSHOP TUNING. TAKEN ON J PEG.

E MAIL ADDRESS :-
Briansumner51@hotmail.com

NOTE !!
No sightings of Roe Deer, Fox, Hare or Badger will be mentioned on this blog throughout the year and links will be removed from other blogs giving the whereabouts of these mammals due to the rising influx of poaching, long dogging and lamping by sick individuals.
BS




Tuesday, August 1, 2017

I love thunderstorms,a prize every time.

       Unmistakable statuette near the NE corner.
                    A first Little Egret for Ogden.


  As soon as the rain stopped it was off.
   5 Minutes later and Id have missed it
    Off >E over Soil Hill

                              Whilst the Cormorants watch on.

1445 hrs and off  to Fly Flatts with a powerful storm approaching and torrential rain, just the stuff to bring in the goodies. Ned Hill was like the Niagara falls with rain so heavy visibility was down to 10 yards at one point but as the rain eased I could see blue sky beyond the wind turbines so I knew I was in with a chance.
                          It was clear and fine on arrival but I could see the next weather front coming over the moor and you could here the distant rumble of thunder so I knew this was going to be a quick visit.
With just time to check the water and scan the shoreline the rain was fast approaching so back in the car ready for off, Fly Flatts is no place to be with fork lightening dancing around your feet.
                                                                    As I was loading up 4 Dunlin flew overhead >SW low across the water and down the valley whilst Herring gulls were moving overhead also >SW with 9 in all. By now the fireworks had started but I,d done my job and satisfied myself that nothing had dropped onto the water.
I parked up by Withens Gap farm watching the display across the valley and was surprised to see 6 Curlew lift up out of the field and head >SW after one very noisy clap of thunder, obviously moving birds.
                                                              Back home and a bite to eat whilst the storm moved over leaving just heavy rain but the temptation of this weather suddenly made me jump up and say " I,m off to Ogden ". Lynda never flinched as she,s used to my madcap ideas by now.
Ten minutes later Im on the promenade in moderate rain but good visibility as I scanned through the gulls and Cormorants in number much like yesterday. Next it was scan the water for Scoters which was when I saw the white figure across near the NE corner which made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, LITTLE EGRET, a first for this site.
                                                             Fumbling with the camera to get a decent exposure in the bad light I snapped a few record shots off in case the inevitable happened as it had now stopped raining so I knew there was a chance of it moving on. A dash then on the east bank but before I got 50 yards I could see it through a gap in the Willows ready for flying. Just as I got to a bit of a clearing it was away up towards the turbines then turning back towards me but very distant before heading off >E towards Soil Hill.
                           I dont know if you believe in fate but strange how I suddenly dashed to Ogden with 5 minutes to spare. Thanks again to my favourite weather.
BS